I’m sure all of us are complaining in one way or another about the heat this summer. Here in Florida it seems hotter earlier. There is really nothing to do but be in the water or be in the A/C. Not every space is air conditioned, including my studio. Currently we have a window banger. It does the job for what I paid for it but we are due for an upgrade. I’m not sure I really want to put in an entire central system with the handler and the works. The cost is not quite in the budget right now either. Time to research and you get the benefit or fruits of my labor.
According to Energy Star the average home spends 20% of its electric bill on cooling. That’s pretty significant. I would bet it’s even more here in Florida. This month it seems the unit never stops running and we keep our at 78d.
Here is the low down on both the stand alones and split units. I have also come across what is called a combo unit. This is similar to the whole house unit but the handler is outside, so doesn’t take up any floor space. A huge bonus if you are in a smaller home. But the cost is a little more that the central system, so again, not in the budget right now.
Stand Alone AC
- Doubles as a dehumidifier and fan
- Works with a large variety of windows, whereas a window unit requires a certain size.
- Very easy to install and remove.
- Not the most effective or efficient way to cool a room.
- The unit gives off heat in a room it is trying to cool.
- While some models are quieter, they are in general noisier.
Best rated unit: Haier 12000BTU Portable Conditioner, HPN12XCM
The Haier HPN12XCM is the best portable air conditioning unit that you can use in your living room during the daytime and in your bedroom at night. It combines power and portability, meaning you can move it from room to room and cool the room it’s in quickly. For its cooling capabilities, numerous safety certifications, convenient features and design, the Haier HPN12XCM earns our Top Ten Reviews Gold Award.
Another good option: Whynter 12000BTU Portable Conditioner, ARC-12S
Split Unit AC
- Quieter than portable or wall units.
- The units can be purchased to cool multiple zones or rooms.
- Some models double as both AC units and heaters.
- Kit comes with everything needed for installation.
- Usually require professional installation as they need to be wired and connected to a breaker.
- The unit is large and must be mounted to the wall and the outside condenser needs a solid, flat surface to mount to.
- More expensive option.
Best Rated Unit: Pioneer Ductless Mini Split AC 12000BTU
Another Good Option: Klimaire Ductless Mini Split Inverter AC Heat Pump System 12000BTU