According to Energy Star the average home spends 20% of its electric bill on cooling.
Stand Alone AC
- Doubles as a dehumidifier and fan
- Works with a large variety of windows, whereas a window unit requires a certain size.
- Very easy to install and remove.
- Not the most effective or efficient way to cool a room.
- The unit gives off heat in a room it is trying to cool.
- While some models are quieter, they are in general noisier.
Best rated unit: Haier 12000BTU Portable Conditioner, HPN12XCM
Another good option: Whynter 12000BTU Portable Conditioner, ARC-12S
Split Unit AC
- Quieter than portable or wall units.
- The units can be purchased to cool multiple zones or rooms.
- Some models double as both AC units and heaters.
- Kit comes with everything needed for installation.
- Usually require professional installation as they need to be wired and connected to a breaker.
- The unit is large and must be mounted to the wall and the outside condenser needs a solid, flat surface to mount to.
- More expensive option.
Best Rated Unit: Pioneer Ductless Mini Split AC 12000BTU
Another Good Option: Klimaire Ductless Mini Split Inverter AC Heat Pump System 12000BTU