THE REASONS WHY YOU DON’T WANT TO HIRE A DESIGNER:
1. If you are looking for someone to agree with your every design choice. If you aren’t open to new ideas the relationship will never work and your house will reflect that.
2. You are not ready to invest in your home’s interiors. This doesn’t mean that you must have a large budget or spend more than you can afford or are comfortable with, but if you aren’t ready to pony up a little to improve your surroundings, don’t hire a designer.
There is a story of Picasso in a restaurant. A woman recognizes him and asks for a portrait on a napkin. He obliges, hands it to her and then says “that is $3000.00”. The woman was shocked. She responds “its only a napkin!” The artist explains to her that the work on the napkin took him years of practice and study, mistakes and successes, all to be able to accomplish that perfect sketch.
Don’t hire the designer if you only value the napkin and not the profession.
3. You don’t know what you want. While this may seem like a good reason to hire a designer, if you don’t have any idea how you use your space, how you want it to feel, or what you like or don’t like it’ll be even harder for the designer to determine and create a space that is uniquely you. A designer can help guide your design and decisions, but can’t make them for you.
4. You want to do all the shopping yourself. If you are going to take your designer’s ideas and go shop for those items on your own, do not hire a designer. Instead, when interviewing designers ask if they could create a plan you can follow for a fixed price. Some designers will be open to this and others won’t, but at least you’ll be open and honest up front.
5. You think you can do it yourself. If you want to do it yourself or think you’re going to do a better job than a designer. I’ve seen people meet with a designer and start the process only to prove to themselves that they don’t need the help of a professional. If you think you can do it yourself don’t waste your time exploring working with a designer. This seems like common-sense, but believe me I’ve seen it happen.
Why you should hire a designer…..
You love to save money. Hiring a professional with an education and years of experience will help you avoid costly mistakes down the road during your project. The initial cost of the design fee will be will be replaced not only by the increased value of your home but typically a designer has made long term relationships in the trade and can get you more value for your money when purchasing finishes, materials, fixtures, etc. you end up with an original design that is tailored to how you live your life not just a copy of magazine images of someone else’s space.
“Hiring a designer can help you to avoid costly mistakes that will not only help you save money but can increase the value of your home.”
July 21, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Very well stated Jen. Hope all’s well with you.
September 19, 2017 at 7:08 pm
Hi Jen. We really appreciated this blog and thus posted it to the Studio Designer’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/studiowebware/status/909797920869777408
September 20, 2017 at 5:54 am
Thanks so much! We love your product!! Makes our
Life so much easier