There are a few things you can do to prepare yourself for a better experience through your renovation project. First would be to educate yourself about what will be happening. Understanding and communication are key to a successful project. Here is a list of what you can do:
- Create a reliable communication system with your contractor right off the bat. This will eliminate any confusion or discomfort during the renovation process. Figure out how to best communicate with one another. Which method do you prefer? Also schedule a regular day or time to review what is being done.
- Create a timeline with your contractor. The timeline should highlight the dates and times a renovation will be taking place. However, keep in mind timelines may subject to change due to weather or unforeseen events.
- Remove all furniture, wall hangings, valuable items, etc. from the remodeling area. This will ensure items will remain undamaged throughout the renovation.
- Store any items you do not need in a garage or a storage container. This will prevent your living space from becoming too cluttered. Also if will protect your belongings from being damaged. I recommend using those POD containers. They can be dropped in your driveway and loaded at your leisure.
- Keep children and pets AWAY from the construction area.
- Renovations often create a LOT of dust. Be sure to cover any construction or high traffic areas with sheets of plastic to protect your home.